Saturday, September 15, 2012

Blog post #2 by Valeria

2. I enjoyed reading The Lady with the Pet Dog the way that Chekhov had intended to write it without a moral or any judgement put upon any of the characters. I liked how he gave the reader the chance to make up their own minds and opinions about the story and the characters instead of telling the reader what to think or feel. I don't normally like stories that don't have a proper ending but I liked how this story gave the opportunity to interpret the story in their own way.
3. I think that Chekhov wanted the audience to understand Gurov as a person and the reason behind his wanting to cheat on his wife. I believe that is why he wrote the story in the point of view of Gurov so that the audience can relate and better understand his motives and thoughts throughout the story. If the author hadn't written in this way I most likely would not have sympathized with Gurov because I would not have known why he did what he did.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Chekhov wanted us to really see the personality of Gurov to truly understand him but as I read the story, he did not really have a good understanding of why he cheated on his wife. He gave simple pet peeves that he did not like about her, and I disagree with him cheating on her. In my opinion, it does not give any good reason why he should have actually cheated on her; however, I thought it was interesting how Chekhov wrote the story for the reader to make their own opinions about the situation of Gerov.

    ReplyDelete