Monday, September 3, 2012

1st Blog Assignment!

I chose The True Story of Little Golden-Hood by Charles Marelles, first because the title caught my attention, and second because I have never heard of this version before and it was very interesting to me.

One of the things I found interesting was that the hood was gold and fire colored, made of a ray of sunshine. It was given to the little girl from her grandmother for good luck, so you already know it is special. Another thing is the wolf introduces himself as "Friend Wolf", he is trying to make himself seem innocent and friendly to the little girl so he won't scare her off. It says he came frisking up to her like a "good dog". Which we discussed in class, even if something or someone looks innocent, you shouldn't believe it. Unlike the other stories, when he arrives at the grandmothers house she isn't there, so he is relieved and sets up on the bed. This version did include the wolf telling her to take off her clothes before getting in the bed with him, which she did, but she only left her hood on. I also found interesting that when she laid in the bed, she states how much her grandmother looks like Friend Wolf yet she stills stays in bed with him. And my favorite part of this version is the ending, when he goes to swallow the little girl he catches her hood and it burns it burns his tongue! "The little hood, you see, was one of those magic caps that they used to have in former times, in the stories, for making oneself invisible or invulnerable." The grandmother then walks in and throws him down the well. No one is eaten or killed in this version except the wolf. I think it has the same moral as the other versions, don't talk to strangers. And i think it might be saying that the little girl was lucky enough to get a warning and that others may not be so lucky.

I think there is an internal conflict in this version with the wolf. "He had seen the child start alone, and the villain was waiting to devour her; when at the same moment he perceived some woodcutters who might observe him, and he changed his mind. Instead of falling upon Blanchette he came frisking up to her like a good dog." He really wants to just eat her then, but knows its not the best decision so he comes up with a different plan to get to the grandmothers house before the girl and get ready to eat her. "Ah! yes! I know now," said the wolf. "Well, that's just where I'm going; I shall get there before you, no doubt, with your little bits of legs, and I'll tell her you're coming to see her; then she'll wait for you." When he arrives at the house he realizes no one is homes he quickly comes up with a plan. "Good!" said the wolf to himself, "I know what I'll do." He shuts the door, pulls on the grandmother's nightcap down to his eyes, then he lies down all his length in the bed and draws the curtains."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia. I'm really glad that you did your blog on this version of the story. I read the Italian/Austrian version of the story. It's really interesting to read about all these different versions of the story. I agree with your point being made about not talking to strangers. The version I have read also concluded with the moral of the story being that no one should talk to strangers. However, in the version that I have read, Red wasn't so lucky. She and her grandmother are killed and eaten by an ogre, instead of a wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help but to read all of the versions.. and the one you picked was actually my 2nd favorite! I liked how they referred to the wolf as an ogre instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you both enjoyed multiple versions. Good work here.

    ReplyDelete