Thursday, September 13, 2012

Blanca's "The Lady with the Pet Dog Dog" Blog Response

1. Anton Chekhov argues in “Morality in Fiction” that combining “art” with moralizing makes for bad art. This stance is basically the paradigmatic opposite of the fairytale. What do you think about this assertion? Is fiction an effective and dynamic framework to teach lessons, or do you think moralizing spoils artistic value and/or enjoyment? Use a few concrete examples (they don't have to be from what we read; they can be any short story, novel, film, etc.)

A: Personally I disagree with what Anton Chekhov has to say about this topic. Mixing "art" with moralizing makes the bowl more interesting and diverse. It's both entertaining and relative to the everyday person. I'd have to say that fiction is the best place to add moralizing ideas, considering that most fairy tales already include moralizing ideas in today's modern society. Mainly those fairy tales that are more modern like the renewing of "Beauty and The Beast" into the book and movie "Beastly". In "Beastly" we are reminded of "Beauty and The Beast" in a modern way, yet we are also taught that appearances aren't everything and that you must always see the best in someone because even if they are as handsome as Matt Bomer and have the body of Ryan Gosling and are as sexy as Timothy Olyphant they might be uglier than Michael Jackson's nose job . Or for the guys: even if they are are cute as Mila Kunis, have the body of Megan fox or are as sexy as Angelina Jolie they might be uglier than Amy Winehouse on crack on the inside. BTW I love both Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse but they both went too far on somethings, I think we can all agree on that. What we must find in someone is a personality like Robert Downey Jr.'s persona of Iron Man or Tina Fey. 


2.  Do you think you would have appreciated “The Lady with the Pet Dog” more or less if Chekhov judged his characters or showed them either being penitent for their "sins", caught by their significant other(s), or suffering the consequences of their actions? Or, do you appreciate it more in the sense that the moralizing is left to you as the author simply develops his characters rather than judging them (this is much like Question 1, but it of course asks you to respond directly to what we're reading than more generally).


A. I think that I would have appreciate this work less because I like different and that is something that is definitely shown in Chekhov's "The Lady with the Pet Dog" where he let's me, the reader, do all the judging for him. I prefer a book that is sort out of context, if you will, this story ends with the reader wanting more and that is something that I am definitely a fan of.

5 comments:

  1. Although I do not agree that art and morals should be intertwined you made some strong points. I happen to love most of the updated fairy tales. I guess since we all grew up with such fairy tales we do not consider the morals behind them; more so the entertainment of the story. I think we do that with most stories or films. We know their is a moral message behind the text but we tend to skip over it most of the time. However, I find it refreshing to be permited to interpurt the text how I see fit verse having ideas and morals placed upon me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say that art and morals should only be intertwined sometimes, due to the fact that most of the time, especially in a novel, it prevents the reader from using their imagination. When I read I like to form my own opinions and imagine scenarios that may not be stated in the story. When morals are added to these works of art I feel it gets kind of boring, because it basically tells you what you should be thinking as you read or look at the art. My feeling is that any type of art should have the purpose to invoke thought; adding morals stifles this action. At other times adding morals is good as long as it is not over done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Colton, I agree exactly that morals "basically tell you what you should be thinking". It ruins free thinking and creativity for the readers. What if the reader wants to think the opposite of what the story is telling? Although morals in fiction might be entertaining, like Blanca said, the audience is almost manipulated by the morals just in the sake of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that morals should be implemented into art from time to time, because that it what makes it realistic. I realize people read to experience things that they ordinarily wouldn't, and everyone would love to experience certain things without having to face the consequences of their actions, but that would not make for a realistic story. It would simply make every story a fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that fiction is a great place to add moralizing ideas. I also think that what Andrea said about how we are so used to moralizing tales that we don't consider the moral, just how entertaining it is. What would be the point of a story if we didn't get anything out of it? It would just be giving us facts and no matter how interesting they are, it will get boring if we can't connect in some way.

    ReplyDelete