Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pagan Night-Mare

I chose the "Pagan Night"to analyze today. Over all the story has a desperate vibe of failure in life. Not only in the two main characters life but also in the life they accidentally created. You could only imagine the view of the new born baby without a name being there unwanted. "It" feels every feeling of regret and hate from its parents towards him. There were some gaps that I noticed in the story. Specifically the cutting back and fourth between the zoo experience of sunny with baby to boyfriend/father Dalton. Dalton seems like somebody yelling for help but his cries fall on deaf ears. He has a lack of character that the writer seems to leave up to the narration of sunny. Instantly I have sympathy for sunny, but then as the name-less baby comes into view and the many ways he could accidentally die changes my whole perspective. This story definitely leaves me with a sickness in my stomach.

2 comments:

  1. I also got that overwhelming sense of despair as I read this story. I think that the whole story as a whole projects this overall sense, but particularly in the opening paragraphs. When the author opens the story with this horrible description of an infant, and people being immediately sympathetic to the misfortune of an infant, are going to feel despair of even hopelessness for a child they can't do anything to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaz,

    You write, "He has a lack of character that the writer seems to leave up to the narration of sunny." I think this is insightful (remember, though, that Sunny herself isn't really narrating; much of the text is narrated in the third person.

    ReplyDelete