Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blog 1

For my initial rankings, this is how i ranked them:

1. A clear understanding of vocabulary
2. Authorial intent
3. Contemporary cultural context 
4. Modern cultural context
5. An understanding of traditional literary elements like characterization etc.
6. Authors beliefs/values/experience
7. Personal beliefs/values/experience
8. Scholarly context

After I read the poem I was still standing by my first two rankings because for me, in order to even get anywhere and to analyze I have to have an understanding of whats being said and vocabulary is whats going to help me. Then of course authorial intent is important because you do want to know what the author is trying to get across and have a clear message of that so you can move forward to analyze or whatever you're doing. I would definitely move number 5 up to probably number three and even move up mine and the authors beliefs/values/experience to really get a grasp on the poem in a different way from different views. 
I definitely think that although some rankings will stay the same or around the same, that for different things such as poems, short story's, etc the rankings will not always be the exact same. There is such a variety out there that try to express different meanings and make you think in different ways so with each person the rankings could be completely different, you never know. For mine personally, I think they will stay close to how I changed them after the poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment