Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Blog Post #2

I'll be using the Phenomenology method to interpret some parts of the text that I thought had significance in the short story "Pagan Night". I can assume from the beginning of the text that at one point in time the band that they were in had actually "made it". It was stated that they were on tour and later in the text it also mentions that they had a tour bus along with an album that they had produced. Their rock and roll lifestyle was short lived and the reason for their band breaking up was not stated but I want to make the conclusion that they had split up due to the baby being born. At the top of the second page Dalton explains how its better to blend in now that everything is over and even he has cut his hair. This was a huge cue for me. Knowing that hair, especially for rockers almost defines their persona; to me this shows that he has accepted to change his lifestyle. As the story goes on Dalton somehow manages to obtain a fishing rod, whether he had traded drugs or a leather jacket hes willing to give up what is personal to him in order to help out Sunny and the baby. At first I was more sympathetic toward Sunny but after some speculation I feel the complete opposite. Dalton is a man who is trying to make the most out of his life. He has abandoned his previous lifestyle and even moved in order to start anew. He  fishes and hunts in order to provide food for his family and works on songs whenever he can to make a little income if any. On the other hand Sunny is stuck, unwilling to break the mold and change. She is constantly looking for her next high and disregards responsibilities she is faced with. She refuses to improve the situation she is in and has a negative and hopeless attitude.


5 comments:

  1. I disagree with your post for a few reasons. Firstly, the band didn't break up because of the baby. They broke up, Sunny and Dalton lost their apartment, ended up moving into the van and were on the road for awhile before Sunny was even "showing". Secondly, the text hints that Dalton sold Sunny's leather jacket seeing as it had been missing since he came home with the rod. I don't feel like he cares for Sunny and the baby at all. He could've sold one of the guitars or guns instead of Sunny's leather jacket, especially right before Winter in Idaho. I do have to give Dalton some credit for how he tries to ask Sunny what she's thinking while she unrelentingly puts up a communication barrier. I also agree with you that Sunny is selfish and definitely does not take responsiblity for her actions. The bottom line is neither of them want to step up and be good parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren and James,

      This has turned into an interesting discussion, actually. On one hand, I think James's reading is pretty interesting. It isn't mine, but I always admire readings that go against the grain and/or explore static characters. Some of the examples you give work well; Lauren's correct, though -- Sunny didn't cause the breakup. You write, "Sunny is stuck, unwilling to break the mold and change. She is constantly looking for her next high and disregards responsibilities she is faced with." I agree that she's stuck, but where in the text are you finding that she's "consistently looking for next high?" I don't see evidence of this at all. Similarly, she's the only one who takes care of the baby (albeit poorly) and actually fears Dalton's reaction when the baby cries (a very disturbing response, actually). While her attempts to care for the infant fall flat, I feel she's portrayed as (in terms of "textual signals") inept and inexperienced but not cruel or deliberately selfish. Like Lauren, I don't think he deserves as much credit as you're giving him, but I recognize a particular bias in myself toward "that" kind of guy, and it's likely I'm projecting onto the character. Interesting stuff all around. Enjoyed reading your posts.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete