Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I chose the short story "killings" for my analysis, and am trying the reception theory to elaborate on my findings of this piece. my reception of the text is no doubt hindered by my faith as a Christian. This story is most definitely not a testament on redemption or forgiveness, in fact it is quite contrary: a story of revenge. Any reader that has been through a similar situation as described in this text will definitely see it very differently, depending on the side they were on. One cannot truly fully comprehend the enormity of such a situation if they've never truly experienced the emotional impact such a loss leaves on its victims. So one that goes into a situation with preconceived notions whether by religious or political viewpoints(a person from Texas vs a person from Massachusetts) might have those notions drastically altered by the impact the situation has on their psyche.

3 comments:

  1. I disagree with you when you say that it is not a matter of redemption, for I think they feel guilty that they were unable to protect their loved one's, so getting revenge will not just even the score but will give the person a sense of internal redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me it seems like this story is told in a way that makes it feel like the characters are helpless against the pull of revenge, it has consumed their lives and controls their actions. Being a christian myself, I feel like faith in no way hinders the feelings that this story is meant to bring out. Wanting to get even is a basic human desire, I'm sure it is a feeling that everyone has felt at some point. I believe that this text is meant to bring out those uncomfortable internal feelings and make the reader deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,

    When you say, "my reception of the text is no doubt hindered by my faith as a Christian". I don't think your reception is hindered so much as it is affected by that faith, and this of course makes sense.

    Wes, you write "I believe that this text is meant to bring out those uncomfortable internal feelings and make the reader deal with them. I think you've hit this spot on. The narrator is careful to suspend most judgment, and I think the text very directly asks readers to stake a moral claim.

    ReplyDelete