Monday, February 13, 2012

Blog Post #2

I am taking a shot at the Reception Theory.  I read the story, Pagan Night and it reminds me a lot about how similar it is towards today's culture.  People just like Sunny and Dalton live selfish lives and don't want to deal with their responsibilities.  They feel stuck and dream of different scenarios where they can get away from the troubles that are burdening them.  In the culture we live in today it is not surprising when we see people high and drugged out while caring for children.  It is sad but that is what is consuming a vast majority of people today.  It should be shocking when we read a story like this, but it is not.  I have read about people in the paper and have seen people on the news who consume drugs while having kids.  I dislike people of this sort and don't respect them.  My biased opinion is that people like Sonny and Dalton have no excuse to be the way they are.  Though they do like there drugs and have no problems living that way, they should at least give their baby a different life.  Sadly, our culture has witnessed moments when mothers and fathers have killed their children for selfish reasons.  I don't know if Sonny was really going to kill her unnamed baby, but I have to say I wouldn't be surprised if she did.  That is what our cultural as come too in my personal opinion.   

1 comment:

  1. Whitney,

    You write, "It should be shocking when we read a story like this, but it is not." I think this is an important thing to recognize. Certainly drugs and parents who do them have always been around, but today, such scenarios go with the territory. As such, we're unlikely to react/interpret the way we probably would if we were a 19th century audience reading something like this.

    ReplyDelete