Thursday, February 16, 2012

discussion post 2

Discussion post

"Women's bodies are still turned into objects, into things....and turning a human being into a thing is almost always the first step towards justifying violence towards that person."

  I'm personally torn between whether I agree with Kilbourne's point. Many adds these days do feature girls as being objects. But I don't know if I agree if this justifies violence towards women in general. It depends on the person who views the add and whether they want to take that step towards violence. I personally don't think these adds make women seem like objects to my eyes. These adds are selling fashion, exactly that, adds. Kilbourne is just looking into these particular adds a little much. Maybe to some extent the adds depict women as objects in our modern society. But I disagree that turning a human into a thing is a step towards violence. The beholders of the add know it's an add. So in my opinion Kilbourne isn't right in this aspect. When Kilbourne talks about sex being a main thing in our adds now I agree with that. Most of our fashion adds show two people on the verge of "getting it on". But, back on topic Kilbourne is is looking into the whole "human-turned-object-leading to violence" thing a little too much. The fashion world is sort of a seperate entity in our mainstream world. They think in a strange sense. So humans being shoes or a glass is just their strange sense at work.


1 comment:

  1. Uh, this appears to have made it to the wrong blog. This blog is for 201. Your post needs to be in the 100 blog.

    ReplyDelete