Monday, January 30, 2012

Blog Post 1

In the beginning before reading "My Last Duchess" I based the rankings off of what sounded the most correct when looking at a story or in this case a poem.  The order from most important to least:

1. Authorial Intent 
2. Scholarly Context 
3. Traditional Literary Elements
4. Understanding Vocab
5. Modern Cultural Content
6. Contemporary Cultural Content 
7. Personal Beliefs
8. Author's Beliefs

Little did I know that my rankings were not at all accurate.  The step-by-step process changed my outlook on the importance of a poem.  My rankings after reading and analyzing the poem became:
 
1. Authorial Intent =>  You need to understand the text before jumping into it
2. Understanding Vocab =>  It is important to have knowledge of what text is saying in terms of analyzing and/or using criticism 
3. Traditional Literary Elements=>  You should know where the narrator/speaker is going with the text
4. Author's Beliefs=>  You should have an understanding of where the author is coming from
5. Personal Beliefs=>  You can agree or disagree with author while trying to figure out if paradox is resolved 
6. Contemporary Context=>  Understanding the cultural that the story was written about 
7. Modern Cultural Context=>  Compare or Contrast 
8. Scholarly Context=>  See what other authors opinions were

These are what my rankings came out to be after looking at the text a second time.  Once I put them into action I understood what the text was about and was actually able to enjoy it.  I found this poem fun and interesting!  I found myself to be more of an intrinsic critic because I like to look at further meaning of the text instead of just the text itself.  

- Whitney Danley 

3 comments:

  1. That's interesting that you ranked authorial intent as the highest importance before and after. I ranked it pretty low both times, but I can definitely see why it would be important for some pieces of literature, especially ones based on a true story. Do you feel like the author of "My Last Duchess" had intentions for the meaning of the poem? If so, what do you think they were and were similar to the meanings we discussed in class? Just curious to see another side of it because I ranked "contemporary cultural context" as highest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I read the poem and re-ranked my rankings my list came out to almost exactly what you have now. The only difference with mine is that I put vocabulary before the authorial intent because I need to know the meaning of all the words before i can even think about what the author is trying to say. Before I read the poem my rankings were pretty different and i found them to be way off! But I thought it was cool though that mine were ranked pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney,

    I just wanted to note here that "accurate" doesn't exist in this exercise -- there is no absolute, most respected, most used, or most accurate school of criticism or method of analysis. Don't worry about being correct here; this really is about what you recognize about your own preferences.

    ReplyDelete